Sunday, October 3, 2021

The Gifts of the Spirit

 The first characteristic of Spirit-empowered spiritual community is unity. The second is diversity. Unity is experienced in the midst of diversity.

Diversity speaks of how we are different. The New Testament writers spoke of two expressions of diversity: (1) differences in abilities or gifts (1 Corinthians 12, Romans 12:3-8, Ephesians 4:7-16, 1 Peter 4:10-11) and (2) differences in ethnicity and social standing (1 Corinthians 12:13; Galatians 3:27-28; Colossians 3:11). In spiritual communities, the Spirit transcends and transforms differences. Rather than being a hindrance to unity, Spirit-guided diversity contributes to the strength, health, and functioning of spiritual community while oneness in Christ overcomes social differences (ethnicity and social standing).

Our default nature seeks oneness in sameness — everyone being alike, everyone in agreement. Sameness is not the same thing as unity nor does it produce unity. Ironically, sameness sets the stage for conflict. Whenever someone in a sameness-based group dares to be different or to hold a different opinion, conflict is born. Unity is only possible in the midst of diversity.

In 1 Corinthians 12, Paul spoke about the diversity of gifts (abilities) in the church. He spoke of gifts as manifestations of the Spirit (1 Corinthians 12:7) — evidence of the Spirit working in the life of each individual. These gifts or abilities are given by the Spirit to each one in the body of Christ. I understand the gifts to be dimensions of one’s deep personality that are released as we grow in Christ. Though the gifts differ significantly, each is given by the Spirit. The purpose of the gifts is “the common good” (1 Corinthians 12:7) — to benefit the community, its life, and its work.

Paul spoke of the importance of these gifts by equating them to the different parts of the human body (1Corinthains 12:12-27). Just as the different parts of the body are what allow the body to function healthily, so the gifts are what enable the church as the body of Christ to function, doing the work of God. The gifts are interrelated and interdependent (1 Corinthians 12:14-31). Each part of the body or gift has something of value to contribute to the body’s functioning. The loss of any gift leaves the body crippled, the community impoverished, and one other diminished.

To underscore the interrelated and interdependent nature of the gifts, Paul identified two attitudes that undermine the functioning of the body and the health of the community (1 Corinthians 12:14-26). The first attitude Paul identified was the attitude of insignificance (verses 15-16). When I live out of this attitude, I discount what I have to offer. This attitude is generally created and sustained by comparing myself to another, particularly to what the other can do but I can’t. This kind of focus on what the other can do causes me to overlook and, thereby, discount what I can do. “If the foot would say, ‘Because I am not a hand, I do not belong to the body,’ that would not make it any less a part of the body” (vs. 15). The second attitude was the attitude of arrogance (vs. 21). When I live out of an attitude of arrogance, I discount what the other has to offer. I live as though I do not need the other or what the other contributes to the body. I live as though I am self-sufficient, needing no one else. “The eye cannot say to the hand, ‘I have no need of you,’ nor again the head to the feet, ‘I have no need of you’” (vs. 21). Both attitudes cripple the body and undermine its unity.

In order for the body to function in a healthy manner, two different attitudes are necessary. One is the attitude of confident humility. Confident means I know my gifts, my passions, and my experience. I know what I have to offer others. Confident is the opposite of the attitude of insignificance. Humility recognizes that anything I have to offer was first given to me as a gift of grace by the Spirit. The gifts I have to offer do not make me better than others. Rather, they provide me something to offer others in love. Humility is the opposite of the attitude of arrogance. The second attitude that contributes to the life of the community and the health of the body is an attitude of mutual respect. This attitude recognizes and values the gifts the other has to offer. Confident humility and mutual respect are the pathway to grateful interdependence on one another. They allow us to give freely and gratefully receive.

Diversity is found in all of life. It is God’s design and God’s creation. It is God’s gift, given to enrich life. Diversity is an essential part of spiritual community.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Sixth Sunday of Easter, 2024 - Living the Resurrection in the Here and Now

We tend to think of the resurrection in terms of the future — something we’ll experience after our death as time-space history as we know it...